Thursday 30 November 2017

Aquinas 'perceptions': ‘Wicked’ Mary Boat vs. the lovely one I encountered

Perception is something that people form about you, whether true or otherwise. It is that concept that you can control and yet cannot control. It’s more often than not outside your control when others impose – directly/indirectly, their views about you on others.
One of the biggest sufferers of ‘perception imposition,’ are first-year students any and everywhere. As far back as in 2000 when I stepped foot into Aquinas Senior Secondary School, there were a number of strong homemade perceptions.
That the head at the time Fr. Bacha was cruel. That even more than him, his first assistant Madam Mary Boateng was even more ‘deadly,’ among others that she masterminded most highhanded decisions in administration.
In fact, word had it that she was a ‘Mari Gyata,’ expression for a cantankerous ‘don’t bring yourself’ kind of woman. You’d hardly hear her real name in the corridors, it was ‘mari gyata’ or Mary Boat.
Another strong perception in my time was that ‘free flash’ was heavenly. It was no secret that our toilets were choked but squatting with one’s feet on either side of the big gutter and doing your thing into the flowing waters was nice and easy. Don’t ask me if I did use it.
So there were teachers who seniors made us believe where uncomparable in the subject areas, there were the lazy set, there were those that’d do everything possible to ensure you attend their extra classes etc. etc. all these positions were purely perception based for us first years’.
In my case with Madam Mary Boateng, three instances and one perception post – completion convinced me beyond doubt that there is a reality beyond perception and everyone must work to test perceptions or give others the full benefit of the doubt.
In my first year, I happened to have fallen off a bike and gone unconscious. Kwame Asante and I had helped a senior fix his bike and he offered us rides. I remember starting to ride but woke up on a desk with soiled white shirt with my cousin and others seated around.
How Mary Boateng came into the picture I don’t know but it was in her car that my cousin and I sat till the Achimota overhead – she continued to her Kwashieman residence while the two of us joined a car to Israel in New Achimota.
Fr. Batsa days to our 50th anniversary punished a group of us for overstaying in school but instead of learning opted to disturb – to us we were only releasing stress. We were to dig a trench inbetween the administration and the main form two block.
After all the hustle, Alfred Dorvlo and I were literally fooled by Kenneth Kudowu to fling each others bag into a nearby pond. Kenneth would laugh so loud (maybe at our folly), Fr. Batsa will call to ask why. Eventually the three of us are handed to Madam Mary Boateng.
Now watch this; as it was a Friday I believe, she asked that we bring your bags into her office and dry our books around. Implication, go home without our bags. Report back on Monday for the next steps. There are a few other times I’d felt so stupid in my life.
We were back on Monday, stayed at her office as colleagues studied until the verdict was out. Turn the soil in front of admin block and water the flower beds for the day. Job done, we got back our bags luckily enough no school books were adversely affected.

As someone who use the Achimota route on my way to school, I can recall at least Mary Boateng picking me twice to school along with others. And on two occasions she ‘arrested’ me for lateness and tasked me to mop her office and quickly join my colleagues in class.
It is true that you’d hardly be able to decipher what was on her mind. Her disposition is like that of Italian football great, Andrea Pirlo. The two have indifferent postures but their moves are pure delight.
In our final year (2003) she became substantive head of Armed Forces Senior Technical School, a school I’m familiar with having attended Burma Camp Basic School. At the time we called it Bucass – Burma Camp Secondary School I guess.
Overnight, the uniform I had known over my over 9 years in Burma Camp changed. There was some fresh aura around the students when you met them. Then a close friend told of how the Mary Boateng revolution had repositioned the school in all respects.
Well, for me the evolution from a ‘wicked’ soul to that level-headed, loving mother had long been ingrained in my mind. I have since taken perceptions on face-value and have worked to know the real worth of people – whoever, wherever and whenever I encounter them.
Advice to myself: impressions about who you are will by default be formed by others. Strive to be known for the right reasons, that is the part of perceptions you can influence. In any case, some people will never see any good in you. I saw way too much good in the personality and humane nationality of Madam Mary Boateng, the late.  


No comments:

Post a Comment