Monday 15 January 2018

The Burma Camp days: B Class, bee invasion, Akrasi, Amankwah & Asihene

Okay, here I go again. Having almost successfully recalled names of my classmates back in 2000, I thought it’d be fun to try the adjoining class. We were not Burma Camp Basic School’s A class for nothing, they were indeed a B class – as in firmly stuck behind us.

But of course as many ruffians and rasta people we had amongst us, they had many more. It was almost as if the school had deliberately decided to populate the class with Labadi boys and girls.

The commaraderie was always there in any case, I recall we used to share certain textbooks and my oh my, those times when the classes were merged for a reason or the other, everyone had a favourite they wanted to go sit with. I think mine was Richard Odoi.


So let me attempt to explain why I picked three B class personalities in my headline. Emmanuel Akrasi, Michael Amankwah and Anita Asihene – Some people in our class used to ‘mock’ her as ‘Asikyeame’ – but they won’t confess – I know them!

Sorry to cut in, shall I finish the bee invasion bit please. That day, what started out as a normal school day turned on its head and classes ended abruptly. A bee reportedly killed in a urinal and the colony of bees broke loose. No special prosecutor will calm them down.

There was literally an evacuation as staff and students sought refuge away from the premises – I stand to be corrected the situation affected Kotoka to some extent. Let me hail the ever laughing Cynthia Odei for saving my little sister Shariffa.

I forgot I had a sister in the heat of the invasion, later on I’d find her sheltered under a cloth in the care of Cynthia. Just then, we met our then Social Studies teacher Mr. Adolph Tsakpoe who had been badly stung by the bees.

I also recall how a group of boys lit fire – only God knows from where they got fire to attempt confronting the bees. In the end, it took military intervention to ‘appease’ the bees and to restore normalcy.

Now to the 3As; Akrasi, he was almost a member of our class. He closely associated with quite a number of A colleagues on two levels – the foody and the transport. The Country Kitchen food he brought saved lives as did the car that was supposed to pick him after school.

Michael Amankwah, the dimunitive football sage, he was once an A student, how and when he too transferred to B, I cannot tell. But some of us almost saw him as very much a part of the A set up.

And now, to Anita, by miles the shinning star of the B class, she landed the position of Girls Prefect very deservedly partnering Courage – a perfect couple, if you sk me. She was of the Labadi fraternity but did not at any point look it.

One would think she lived in the Cantonments area but she would often make the journey by foot back home with the La party chitchatting along the paved Burma Camp quarters and through the bushes leading to Soul Clinic junction and into the La municipality.   



The other lady I really must mention is Cecilia (either Sowatey or Asabea). Why? Well, she was my ‘co-host’ for school assembly during the week we were ‘on duty.’ Me on the right side of the stairs and she to the left.

Playback of the routine: Straighten your lines – arms forward stretched – hands down – eyes close – the Lords prayer – eyes open – the National Anthem – the pledge – announcements – marching song (usually from the shrill voiced Josephine in B class).

I so much recall the Friday afternoon closing assembly when we sing ‘wo dientse wo shikpon ne.’ After the sectional results had been read and we dismissed the gathering. I looked over at the particular Cecilia and thought – girl, we did a good job of this! Cecilia, I hail you.

Now my attempted roll call of the B ‘bees’ – Ladies first and of course Cecilias (Sowatey, Asabea and Vorgdzogber), Anita Asihene, Nathalina Quao, Josephine, Bless Ahiakonu, Mary, Barbara, Beatrice, Mawusi Breni, Gertrude and precious cutie Pearl Lamptey (the late).

Boys: Baba Bawa, Lyndon Teye Okutu, Richard Nii Yemofio, Abbey, Kelly Quarshie, Asare, Akrasi, Amankwah, Samuel Aggrey, George Appiah, Odartey, Mark and military minded and mannered Edem Ahadome.

As at form 3, their class was the last on the block and they were indeed the last, we were in a comfortable seat with our A grade. Their very existence was because we were around – I have said it, B people, carry a cane around whenever we meet ‘whip’ me. For now I dey Congo.

You may read my motivation to write this piece in the earlier blog post. Before Aquinas: 9 years in Burma Camp Basic School was lit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment