Friday 8 December 2017

Masjid tales (1) The visually impaired man: Afflicted but committed

If an ailment affects your body, head for the hospital
Likewise If an ailment  affects your soul, head to the masjid. May Allah increase us in khayr and with barakah.

Life and living it took a different turn when I left home to a far away land to work. There are so many things I don't get to do. Among others, go to makaranta, visit family and physically meet friends except on whatsapp.

Over in Congo, my movements are predictable, predominantly at home or at work, usually at the mosque, sparsely gone to the market or the seaside when I'm very annoyingly off duty for an entire weekend.


For purposes of this write up, I stick to the masjid (mosque). Whiles there to pray, I do observe a lot. Three people "freak me out" for the right reasons I must admit. May Allah reward their commitment at least on the face of what I see.

The committed visually impaired man. His mode of coming to the mosque is riveting. He is helped to board a taxi from his home towards the mosque. As he gets off, almost immediately someone/ anyone grabs hold of his hand and leads him into the mosque.

His place, Subhaanal Laah, is right behind the Imam. It's a constant spot and for all the time I have joined the prayer have sighted him. He is early to come for obvious reasons and usually has his ears plugged, most likely listening to Islamic related stuff.

How he gets his actual spot is by having a feel of the tip of the Imam's prayer mat. In his own beautiful world he sits whiles others exchange greetings because for him, a greeting is possible with a verbal or physical prompt.

Even though it's as much as I know of his plight, I know he doesn't have to hassle with lowering his gaze, that's for us, those with the blessing of sight.

Bearded, bespectacled and with his round cap carefully balanced atop his head, he nods when a khutbah or lecture is being delivered and from afar or right behind him, I look at him and say a prayer.

"Yaa Allah, bless your servant with good in this dunya and beyond." I believe the angels will answer in the affirmative and I will also be granted that which I so wish for him.

In part 2, I share the story of the partially paralysed man, who has a special spot he sits and stands to pray. May Allah have mercy on our feeble souls and grant us the gift of jannah. Ameeen 

1 comment: