Friday 9 March 2018

March 2017: Officially ‘female’ by Congo law, back to Accra for historic vacation

One interesting experience in Congo is of military men on the roads after midnight running checks. For expats, demanding residency permits from us despite being in an official vehicle.

These cards it turned out were one’s visa if you had to leave and or return to the country. So, when the deputy Human Resource manager handed me my copy, I was happy because my thirty-day visa had long expired.

I later realized there was an anomaly with the card, every other detail was correct but my gender was stated ‘feminin.’ - as in female.


I protested and demanded change, but Roland Kibenga (Mr. deputy HR) will apply one of his trademark responses ‘Oh! ç’est pas grave,’ as in ‘eno be big deal,’ simply put ‘no wahala.’ He said if anyone stops me for that reason, I should just call him. I said yooo.

For my entire 'feminin' days spanning a year, neither the soldiers nor the bank officials paid any serious attention to details on the card. My female-themed card will secure pass mark from security and bank officials over the entire year.

That same card was demanded as I exited a year ago today (March 9, 2017) to kick start my vacation. I learned later that without the card, airport officials reserved the right to bar you from leaving via the airport.

Facts they say are sacred. Pardon me to state for another time that I arrived in Congo in February 2016. My leave / vacation was only due after a year. So in March 2017, I applied for and had my vacation approved.

It all but felt quite funny. Vacation – was till then, a word I knew to spell but had never experienced in my professional life dating back some eight years prior. All three previous employers did not offer vacations till I left – in the case of one for over 5 years.

That aside, the case of Africanews’ vacation was special because it really felt like one. Travel and spend time away from work, then return to box on. Combine both elements of it being a first-time holiday and the lure of air travel, I got butterflies in my stomach.

As if that was not enough, the vacation bonus which I had not factored into my finances meant that I had a financial leap in my step – it promised to be a fun time and damn I was bent on savouring every moment.

The Ethiopian Airline flight left Pointe Noire in the afternoon on 09-03-2017, we stopped at the capital Brazzaville and onwards to Addis Ababa to pass the night. Dabredamo hotel – supper, check emails, watch TV, sleep. Wake up, breakfast, to the airport en route to Accra.


When the view of Accra’s skyline began to manifest and the pilot asked that we get ready for landing, the over five-hour journey sunk in deeper. Then the mini-turbulence as the plane touched the runway and till it came to a stop and we disembarked.

The check out processes were quite smooth for me, grabbed my three pieces of luggage plus my backpack, helped myself to the waiting area where Fuleira, Sherifa and baby Fatima were waiting – I stopped at Mile 7 mosque to pray Jumah, whiles Fuleira and the others took the luggage home.

The month was fun-filled and I’d summarize it in just this paragraph. Getting to see family and friends. Returning to Islamic School (makaranta), visiting granny at Tepa and a week’s stay with Ibrahim – a GIJ colleague, and his wife in Kumasi. Couple that with visiting my former work places, I do look forward to the next vacation.

So with vacation over as I headed back, Ethiopian Airline officials at Kotoka International Airport took my documents – passport and ticket – but went aside dilating on an issue. I remembered I still had my ‘almighty’ female residency card in my pocket but I waited.

The two guys walked up to me after about three minutes, before the one with my passport could speak, I shoved the card in his direction. He passed a funny comment, scanned it and handed me my stuff – then on to weigh my luggage and prepare for boarding.

Again upon re-entry into Congo in April 2017, I had to produce the card to immigration officials before I was passed. My new card gender-correct was delivered in May 2017 and is due for renewal in two months – days to my 2018 vacation, you can do the maths. Lol.

Congo Republic has and continues to play a key role in my (our) professional, social and financial scheme of events. I dream of a day I’d look back at these days. But until that day comes, we live by the day ensuring we are always better than we were the day before.

To quote Damian Marley in his track ‘Speak Life’:

Way Up
Keep your head up and stay up
Even when you sore and pain love
Never giving up till it’s game up
Keep your aim up

And focus
Don’t concentrate on what’s bogus
Never sell out for a bonus
Handle your biz like grown ups
Own up

I’m out but to return with another installment, same place with ‘Thoughts of Hajia Fati’s son.’

No comments:

Post a Comment