Monday 7 January 2019

My 2019 reading plan: On the mark, ready and reading

Reading, without it one wonders the extent to which one’d be heeding to events in the past, present and future. Read, a four-letter-word holds a strong spot in our daily lives whoever we are.

Almost all religions have scriptures that adherents read. Students, categories of workers – be they male or female, young or old, rich or poor, strong or weak; all sign onto or sign up for reading for different reasons.

Every avid reader will most likely have some history of how they became hooked to burying their eyes in the pages of books – soaking the stories, the thoughts and ideas of others.

2018 was a defining year for me with respect to consistency in my reading routine. An intentionally calculated effort to read largely turned out as planned. The lessons thereof for the basis for my 2019 reading plan.

In an era of information overflow, I should have an estimated 100 e-books on my phone and laptop. The plan is to dispatch a minimum of ten this year.


Given that last year, my readings were largely restricted to Ghanaian, Nigerian and Liberian authors, I am looking to break out to East Africa this year. I’m waiting for three hardcover books – two Ugandan and one Somali.

Late December came on board with my first Ghanaian book, “NURUL-ANWAR, The Light of the Lights,” a book on Islamic Religious Studies published by a childhood friend.

But 2019 is well underway with a stampeded read, “Show Me The Money,” a book by Nigeria’s former anti-corruption czar, Nuhu Ribadu. Chanced on an e-copy and as an admirer of his works, self-arrested myself to read within the context of Nigeria’s upcoming presidential elections. I'm done with it though.

Last year, a reading pal, Ugandan colleague Amelia Martha Nakitimbo brought up the idea of “co-reading,” which I’d look to largely leverage on this year.

The idea is to do with reading two books instead of one book per month, – that way if one book drains her, she has another one to keep the momentum going. It came up in the wake of our collective hustle with Taiye Selasi’s “Ghana Must Go!”

Here is a sneak preview into how I hope the first half of 2019 will be like:

January: Show Me The Money by Nuhu Ribadu
Co-read: Inside Al-Shabaab by Harun Maruf and Dan Joseph

February: Nurul-Anwar, The Light of Lights by Abdul Mannan Yusif
Co-read: Islam In Africa Throughout History by Sh. Mohammed Aman Al-Jami

March: Sowing The Mustard Seed by Yoweri Kaguta Museveni
Co-read: 1984 by George Orwell

April: Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
No co-reading this month

May: I Think Therefore I Play by Andre Pirlo
Co-read: Rereading My Reflections on Life by Sh. Ishaak Ibrahim Nuamah

June: Anthills of The Savannah by Chinua Achebe
Co-read: Fire and Fury by Michael Wolff

Over the course of the year, I’d be undertaking "side reading" tasks:

a. The life story of Prophet Mohammed – Ar Raheeq Al Makhtum
b. Every month, I’d read brief profiles of companions of the prophet – one man, one woman.
c. Each week, read at least an analysis of top world news stories – in the past weeks, it’d be about the US shutdown and the new Congress.

It’s all about hardwork, there is room to reset goals along the line. The challenge is on. Dear self, let’s do this. Thanks in advance. Sincerely, me.

Jumadal Uulaa 2, 1440 = January 7, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment