Sunday 13 October 2019

 [Review] Animal Farm: George Orwell's classic via lenses of a journalist covering Africa

Animal Farm, as I'd known it since way back, boasts multiple quotes but one that comes up strong is "All animals are equal, but some animals are equal than others."

 "Way back" from above refers to the days my late dad subscribed to the British Council library in Accra. He borrowed books that myself and my siblings read in turns, Animal Farm was one such books. I read it back then for what it was and who I was.

It was just another novel by a famed author, George Orwell, and I was but a young reader in junior high school. I could still remember Napoleon and Snowball.

Rereading it decades after my first encounter kicked in with heavy perspective. I was to read it as a journalist who was extensively covering news across Africa and the world. Animal Farm is heavy on politics, politicians and "politricks."

Politricks being the deceptive mode in which African politicians are widely perceived to act across electoral cycles. Orwell's evergreen classic espouses group effort and loyalty, love for association and diplomacy. 

While at it, it exposes blind loyalty, excessive love for power, political trickery, propaganda and parochial use of communal resources. George Orwell came up strongly at a point in my journey as a digital journalist.

My supervisor advised that we read Orwell's book "1984." According to him, it had insights into digital journalism. Even though I have yet to read it, Animal Farm, came in handy and more so for me.

My Ugandan colleague, Daniel Mumbere, returned from holidays and handed me a copy of the book. I leapt with joy. It was the second book Daniel had given me, the first was a historical and cultural account of Dahomey - present day Benin.


I began reading it days to my departure on holidays and did so through my flight and transit via Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

I could at almost every point draw parallels from incidents in the book with an African leader or government. From whenever a scheme was being planned through to execution and even review stage. 

First off, I'd attempt to translate the seven commandments of Animal Farm vis-a-vis present day African politics. Africa in this context denoting a monolithic bloc of brothers related by the western, wobbly governance proposition called "democracy." 

THE SEVEN COMMANDMENTS - Orwellian Edition

1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3. No animal shall wear clothes.
4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
7. All animals are equal.

 THE SEVEN COMMANDMENTS - Present day African edition

1. Whoever dares to oppose "rulers" is an enemy.
2. Whoever goes along with "ruler," bootlicks; is a friend.
3. No politician shall wear out his constituents.
4. No politician shall live above his means.
5. No politician shall "drink" more power than necessary.
6. No politician shall trick any other politician.
7. All politicians are equal.

From west through to central, east and southern Africa, politicians past and present have celebrated the "liberation" of their people and often times turned around full circle to unleash "strangulation."

Many remain embedded in the bracket of Africa's torrid past with democratic experimentation while about a half-dozen continue to hold on to power with decades rule under their belt.

Such are the leaders that are "Napoleons" - those that concentrate as much power as they can - and with that kick out "Snowballs" - real and or perceived enemies - in their camps and then soldier on to edit - wholly or partially - agreed upon regulations for their parochial interests.

The constitutions and other laws describe them as public servants but the verdict out there is that most of them serve their customized public and more of themselves.

To put it bluntly, they are in public service but doing public disservice. Orwell stages a present-day scenario of global politics. He clearly was ahead of his time and saw the realities that politics - local and global has become.

The depths of parochialism, cynicism and diabolism that have become symbolic of politics. While at it, I'm the first to admit that there are fine politicians who are very unscientifically "a drop in the chaotic ocean of political enterprise."

Africa to put it bluntly is a big Animal Farm where the people are lured and or forced to accept political leadership contracted by "majority vote" as was the case on Manor Farms turned Animal Farm.

The animal vs. humans battles that were won by the later also makes for interesting reading as was the interactions between the two species where the animals held more power as employers, business partners of humans.

By all means - read. I'm on to the next and with that, do expect a review in due course.

October 13, 2019 = Safar 14, 1441

No comments:

Post a Comment