Friday 15 December 2017

[Letter] ‘Pampered’ homosexuality forecast: Akufo-Addo vs. Jammeh

Since it's a blog letter please bear with an 'introduction.' A caveat before the intro: I’m not going to waste my time as others are doing and have done analyzing President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s response to the homosexuality question as aired on the Qatar-based TV channel, Al Jazeera.

I'm writing this letter because out of the plethora of issues that he discussed with Al Jazeera, it seems that the same-sex response has elicited more coverage in the local media space. Undoubtedly weeks after his pronouncements it continues to pop up here and there.

For me, I believe it's same for several others, it underlines how the president succeeded in failing to simply quote what the law says and leave the future to the future. To my letter.

Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo
President of the Republic of Ghana
Flagstaff House
Kanda – Accra

Dear Sir,

How are you? I hope you are fine together with your elephant government (relative to size rather than party emblem). After all, it’s a government for all of us despite flawed and floored theories like that of ‘our’ South Africa rep, Ayisi Boateng and his 'party before government' rhetoric, disgusting.

As for how Ghana is doing, it is for three sets of Ghanaians to say, members of the ruling party, those from the opposition and the apolitical ‘party’. The key point is the peace is a product of our combined efforts. We no get time for stress.

I saw you on Al Jazeera addressing issues from local, continental and global politics. Nice. I watched you hail Donald John Trump, wow! I heard you prophesy that Mandela’s ANC will one day lose power. Yo! Even of you talking about child marriages and other issues, great!

I watched with admiration how you said Africa’s march towards democracy was unstoppable and how can I forget you refusing to poke your nose into Zimbabwe, well played! But of these major issues, your about two minutes ‘pampering’of homosexuality is/was the talk of town.

I know you know why and would have ended my letter here but please indulge me. There are some core matters on which we are united in celebration/condemnation as a people. Long before democracy and human rights, we had tradition, culture and thereafter religion.

These bind us more strongly than does politics. You said it was a matter of time before it (same-sex marriage) will be with us. Common-sensically people have argued that it is right but that is not what ‘we’ needed at least going by the public reaction.

Your burdened sigh when the interviewer posed the specific question portended chaos and you delivered it, fast forward to your last statement about it not being on the agenda, the hostess was quick to move on because you positioned yourself as an ‘accommodating’ leader.

I would not have expected a Yahya Jammeh type reply – slitting throats et. al, that’d hardly come from you that stayed in Britain and saw same-sex relationships in its hustle days. You that are a legal brain and acclaimed human rights fighter.

Boss, the reality is; you should have just fired the existing law – top of my head, that unnatural carnal knowledge is a crime under Ghana’s law. That has not changed and that is where we stand as a people with you as the leader of constitutional defence, I know you remember your January 7th oath.

Your groundswell of activism argument suggested that a time will come when activists will build enough vim and audacity that could bring us to where the west are today. But my question, will you open us up, expose us to the start of that era?

I have widely followed reactions to your response – the politics in it was expected. Your people are doing their defensive duties as opposition apologists keep attacking. I don’t know who the goalie is but those of us in midfield (apolitical) will defend our society and religions.

Gay rights people on hearing you will put plans on ‘yellow’ as in ‘get ready’ at a time I think the traffic lights were on bright red ‘STOP!’ I insist, they are amongst us, but we cannot afford to make them bold to step out. May they forever live watching their backs. Amen!

Your Excellency, this is my little piece to you. The part that sweet you, I didn’t mean it, this is serious business. The part that anger you, I don’t care. Next time the question is tossed, don’t skirt around it. Knock it into a coma, of course not Jammeh style.

Even though I’m far away from Kejetia and Makola and given your legal background, permit me to say: ‘I arrested my case.’ God bless you and the government, God bless our homeland Ghana.

Very Sincerely Yours
SIGNED
Hajia Fati’s son, Alfa Shaban

Addendum

If I may add, can the presidency and leading local channels get such interviews done? To some extent, that would cure the choked once-a-year 'Meet The Press' series we have been witnessing over the years.

Our presidents have spoken to 'outsiders' often but only get time for local media when elections loom. The very time their local media mojo begins to tinker.



No comments:

Post a Comment